Monday, October 22, 2012

Trying to Keep Up, Honey Boo Boo and Lance




Honey Boo Boo

Sorry for the delay in my blog, but I’m taking a writing class and it’s a bitch to get the assignments finished in time.   But, yes, I’ve tried keeping up with the news, and I won't be so tardy again.

 Hey, aren’t the elections coming around soon?  And I hear that there’s this child sensation called Honey Boo Boo.  She’s a chubby little girl from a white trash reality show, and Rosie O’Donnell’s so taken with her, she paying for Boo Boo’s house renovations.  Cool, I thought, calling Rosie and asking if she could do my house too.  I’ll let you know when I hear from her.
Lance Armstrong

                                                 
And then there’s Lance Armstrong.  Nike and everyone else dumped him the other day because the newest doping evidence “is insurmountable.”
Really?  You mean it’s taken them all this time to figure it out? 
According to a number of former teammates, the seven-time Tour de France winner bragged about how he suppressed a positive test in 2001.  The head of the lab admitted that the results were questionable but said that the science at the time could not further evaluate the results.   
So why did the International Cyclist Union (ICU) refused to allow the US Anti-doping agency to re-examine the findings?
You see Armstrong is a generous guy.  In 2005 alone, he donated $125,00 to the ICU.  They were thrilled with the gift, and those personally involved said that the union worked closely with the cyclist for the succeeding years to come. 
The ICU went on to say that they weren’t the only ones who knew about the positive results.  
 So they admitted it and covered it up anyway?  How did they get away with it?
But you know, I still can’t help but admire him.  And I bet others do too.  It was more than chutzpah that pushed him up those mountains for three grueling weeks a year.   It was a steely, all-encompassing obsession that he’d fight to the end.  And he did.
  
Yes, he’s a cheat, but he raised $300 million for his cancer foundation.  And that wasn’t a fraud, only based on one. 
Still, I wonder.  Would I buy a used car from this guy?  I’ll think about it and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment