Monday, September 20, 2010

What the Republicans Know and Other Stuff...


Yesterday I was invited to see the House Whip--that's the second in power in the House of Representatives--Eric Cantor, a Republican from Virginia.  

He's a nice looking guy, short, with an easy smile who lives in Richmond and flew into Orlando to speak to an affluent group, mostly doctors, furious and frustrated at Obama’s health care bill.  (I don't know how I got an invitation). 
But these professionals were certain that their rights were lost, careers compromised, and future incomes diminished.


Rep. Cantor, seemingly honest and bright, was more than happy to entertain the crowd.  He said that  the health care bill will bankrupt this country and that every citizen should be able to choose their own medical professionals and health care plans.

The audience cheered and applauded wildly.

I applauded too...while I wondered.   Of course everyone should make their own choices, but did that also include the poor, the unemployed, and those who have been rejected for coverage due to pre-existing conditions?

Because ya know, the stuff Cantor suggested is the system we’ve always had, and millions have gone without insurance, or very limited coverage, which meant the public has been footing numbers with lots of zeroes to pay for Medicaid and other emergency medical expenses.

So I was waiting for Cantor’s alternative plan, some sensible solution that could counter Obama's unworkable bill and set this country straight.

But after the applause, I heard NOTHING.  Not another word about it.   I guess the cheers were enough.

'Course I wondered again if Obama's health care law or a version of it will work.   It hasn't even been set in motion.

Others asked questions, and though I wanted to, I didn’t get a chance to ask any of mine. I was going to say. “What are you going to do about those Tea Party nuts, splintering the party, going off half-assed without background, experience, or statistics to back up their views?

And these crackpots are getting dangerous.  When a long time moderate like John McCain, whom I used to trust, starts jumping through Sarah Palin’s hoops to get re-elected, I wonder what’s happened to everybody’s heads.

Looks like Humpty Dumpty fell, and nobody picking up the pieces.  They’re just sloshing through the jagged assortment, maybe studying an odd edge or two, without offering any valuable ideas.

I hope Jon Stewart’s and Stephen Colbert’s call for a million man group of moderates coming together on the Washington Mall October 30th will perk up the thinking man’s brain.

It shouldn't be that difficult.  Sarah Palin's was born without one.
Sarah Shourd
                                             ********                                                  
But ah, on another note.  After 410 days in captivity, I'd like to welcome Sarah Shourd home from Iran.  I hope your fiancĂ© and other friend also make it out, but I got a question to ask. There are hundreds of thousands of places to visit on earth, so why go hiking between Iran and Iraq?
Couldn’t come up with an alternative scenic route?

Until next week, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment