Sunday, March 6, 2011

His Bulb Shines Brighter

Nikola Tesla
I have this friend--I’ll call him Howie--because that’s his real name.   He’s a scientist who works with lights and lasers and is a devoted follower of Nikola Tesla.

Nikola Who?

Actually Tesla (1856-1943) was a world renown electrical engineer that many believe was a genius, smarter than Edison, and it was he who invented the light bulb that we use today.

But I thought we used Edison’s?

Never have.  Tesla’s the one that was picked from the beginning.  In fact, the whole world uses Tesla's alternating current because it turned out to be the best choice.

Amazing, but why tell us now?

Because I just got back from Croatia—the old Yugoslavia—and Nikola Tesla was Croatian and the Number One person of his people.  They love him!  There’s Nikola Tesla Blvd., Nikola Tesla Street, statues of him, city squares in his name.   He’s the BIG DEAL in Croatia, and I’m proud to say that when the guide was explaining his importance, I was THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT IT!

There were even a few intellectuals on the trip, but no one knew about Nikola, but ME.

I raised my hand and said, “I know about Nikola Tesla.  I have this friend back home who studies the Tesla coil.” (I always thought it sounded dirty).  The guide was impressed that I knew anything about him, so I'm telling you this not only because Tesla's was great but because Croatia needs all the press it can find.

And of course the Croatians gave us other things too.                                           

They invented the necktie.  (Okay guys, you can either applaud or roll their eyes).  Worn by their soldiers during the European Thirty Year War from 1618-1648, it set fashion standards for hundreds of years to come.
And how about the mechanical pencil?   In 1906, Slavoljub Penkala applied for a patent on his new invention.
Of course there's California Zinfandel.  The Croatians are known for their fabulous wine, and their vineyards helped create a multi-billion dollar industry in OUR country today.     

But let's get back to old Nikola.  Without alternating currents, the world would be a dark dreary place.  His brilliance literally lit our lives, giving his people a hero, me a chance to impress a guide, and Howie his Tesla coil.

No comments:

Post a Comment